The 2019 Coronavirus Novel (2019-nCoV), better known as Coronavirus, is a new type of coronavirus that is contagious to humans. The Virus can attack anyone, whether it is infants, children, adults, seniors, pregnant women, and nursing mothers.
This viral infection is called COVID-19 and was first discovered in the city of Wuhan, China, at the end of December 2019. The Virus is contagious rapidly and has spread to other regions in China and to several countries, including Indonesia.
Corona Virus SymptomsCorona or COVID-19 virus infections can cause the sufferer to experience flu symptoms, such as the watery and runny nose, headache, cough, sore throat, and fever; or symptoms of severe respiratory infections, such as high fever, even bloody cough, shortness of breath, and chest pains.
However, there are generally 3 common symptoms that can indicate that a person is infected with Coronavirus:
- Shortness of breath
According to the study, the symptoms of COVID-19 appear within 2 days to 2 weeks after the exposure to the Coronavirus.
When To Go to a DoctorImmediately to the doctor when you experience the symptoms of a Coronavirus infection (COVID-19) As mentioned above, especially if the symptoms arise 2 weeks after returning from China or other countries that are positively infected. People suspected of being infected with Coronavirus should be immediately referred to the nearest IGD hospital in order to get appropriate treatment.
Causes of CoronavirusesIn most cases, coronavirus only causes mild to moderate respiratory infections, such as flu. However, this virus can also cause severe respiratory infections, such as pneumonia, Middle-East Respiratory Syndrome (MERS), and Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome (SARS).
It is alleged that Coronaviruses were originally transmitted from animals to humans. However, it is then revealed that Coronaviruses are also contagious from human to human.
A person can be infected with COVID-19 through various means:
- Accidentally inhale splashes of sneezing or cough with COVID-19 sufferers.
- Holding the mouth or nose without washing your hands first, after touching the objects affected by the saliva of COVID-19 sufferers.
- Close contact with COVID-19 sufferers, e.g. contact or shaking hands.
- Coronaviruses can infect anyone, but the effect will be more dangerous or even fatal when it happens to elderly people, pregnant women, sick people, or people whose endurance is weak.
Diagnosis of the Corona VirusTo determine if a patient is infected with Coronavirus, the doctor will ask the symptoms of the patient. The doctor will also ask if the patient travels to the Corona-endemic virus region before symptoms arise.
To ensure the diagnosis of COVID-19, the doctor will perform the following advanced examinations:
Blood sample Test
Throat swab test for researching phlegm samples
Chest X-ray to detect infiltrates or fluid in the lungs
Corona Virus TreatmentCorona or COVID-19 virus infections are not yet treatable, but there are a few steps doctors can take to relieve symptoms, namely:
Provides fever and pain reliever. However, the doctor will not give aspirin to the COVID-19 sufferers who are still children.
Recommend the COVID-19 sufferer for a warm shower and use a humidifier (air humidifier), to relieve cough and sore throat.
Advise the sufferer of COVID-19 for adequate rest and not out of the house to prevent the spread of viruses.
Recommend patients with COVID-19 to drink a lot of water to maintain body fluid levels.
Complications of CoronavirusesIn severe cases, Coronavirus infection could cause some of the following serious complications:
Secondary infections in other organs
Acute Cardiac injury
Acute Respiratory distress syndrome
Corona Virus PreventionThe best preventative way is to avoid the factors that can cause you to get infected with this virus, namely:
- Avoid travelling to China or to other countries that have been found to be the transmission of Coronaviruses.
- Use masks during outdoor activities, especially in public places or crowds.
- Routinely wash hands with water and soap or hand sanitizer containing alcohol after outdoor activities.
- Avoid contact with animals, especially wild animals. In case of contact with animals, wash your hands afterwards.
- Cook meat until thoroughly cooked before consumption.
- Cover the mouth and nose with tissues when coughing or sneezing, then remove the tissues to the trash.
- Do not touch the eyes, mouth, and nose before washing your hands.
- Avoid adjacent to someone who is sick.
- Keep the hygiene of the objects that are often touched and environmental hygiene.
For someone who is suspected of being exposed to COVID-19, there are several steps that can be done so that Coronaviruses are not transmitted to others, namely:
- Do not leave the house, except for treatment.
- Try to stay separate from others for a while. If not possible, use a different bedroom and bathroom than other people use.
- Disallow and prevent others from visiting or exploring you until you are completely healed.
- Do not have a meeting with people who are sick.
- Avoid sharing the use of cutlery and drinking, toiletries and nightwear with others.
- Wear masks and gloves when you're in public or in a commonplace with others.
- Apply the ethics of coughs and use tissues to close the mouth and nose when coughing or sneezing, then discard the tissues to the trash.